75 Tributes to the Bridge
Below is a list of participating organizations as part of our Golden Gate Bridge 75 Tributes program.
A-G | H-M | N-Z
American Institute of Architects, San Francisco Chapter
- Postcards from the Edge: Exhibition of postcard views of the Golden Gate Bridge and San Francisco.
- Architecture and the City Festival: A series of events that celebrate the Bay Area's architectural heritage, including the Golden Gate Bridge.
- Lecture by Paul Goldberger, architecture critic for the New Yorker, focusing on the Golden Gate Bridge and other legacy structures. Cohosted with the Jewish Community Center of San Francisco and SPUR.
American Society of Civil Engineers
- Dedication of a plaque acknowledging Charles Ellis' role in the design of the Golden Gate Bridge.
- Assisting the National Park Service with talks about the Golden Gate Bridge.
Art Deco Society of California
- Swinging on the Golden Gate: Art Deco Preservation Ball themed with Bridge-era music and displays of Bridge work.
- Bridging the California Dream: Lecture discussing the significance of the Golden Gate Bridge in California history, as the gateway to the Pacific, and as an exemplar of innovation
- 75 Reasons Why We Are the Bridge: Children, teachers and practicing artists give form to their ideas using the bridge's history and structure. Culminating exhibition at the Thoreau Center for Sustainability in the Presidio.
- Earth Week Art-a-thon: Celebrate the Golden Gate Bridge’s 75th Birthday with artists of all ages and levels of experience in a 10-hour art-and-music-making marathon to benefit ArtSeed’s neediest students.
- Spring Open Studios: See ArtSeed Art-a-thon Golden Gate Bridge’s 75th Birthday art (and more) on display at the Thoreau Center for Sustainability and talk to young artists about their installation. Sales of art benefit ArtSeed’s Apprenticeship Program.
- Art-a-thon Art Display: Make-your-own Golden Gate Bridge birthday cards and see ArtSeed’s Thoreau Center for Sustainability Exhibition Sneak Preview.
Bay Area Discovery Museum
- Happy Birthday Bridge: A week-long celebration, including art-based activities to create bridge crowns, bridge sculptures and a giant bridge birthday card.
Bay Model Visitor Center, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- Showing of documentary films about the Golden Gate Bridge
- Presentation on the difficulties of building the Golden Gate Bridge, from a hydrodynamic, geologic and weather perspective
- Sailing trip on San Francisco Bay for youth
Bay Area Open Space Council
- Transit and Trails Alt. Ride: Bikers will tackle Mt. Hamilton, Mt. Tamalpais and Mt. Diablo in one day, using public transportation between the peaks and crossing the Golden Gate Bridge.
- Open Space Conference: Convening land conservation leaders from around the Bay Area with this year's theme, 'Bridges' in honor of the 75th anniversary.
Bay Area Ridge Trail Council
- Ridge to Bridge: Guided hike on the Bay Area Ridge Trail from the Presidio, across the Golden Gate Bridge and into parklands in Marin.
Bridge Rail Foundation
- Whose Shoes? – A tribute exhibit in remembrance of the known 1558 lives lost—and counting—to suicide on the Golden Gate Bridge, and in recognition of those agencies and individuals who have made historic progress in the ongoing movement to end preventable death on the bridge.
California Academy of Sciences
- NightLife at the Academy: BridgeFest NightLife night will be a chance for everyone to celebrate the 75th Anniversary of the Golden Gate Bridge with a night of swing music and reflection on San Francisco's beloved icon.
California Historical Society
California State Coastal Conservancy
- Trails Bridging the Golden Gate: Overnight camping trip in the Presidio and hike across the Golden Gate Bridge. Cosponsored with Juan Bautista de Anza National Historic Trail
- The Golden Gate Bridge at 75: What Makes an Icon: A lecture and panel discussion on the history of the bridge and how it has achieved iconic status.
Community Music Center
Crissy Field Center
- Archi-Techies - Golden Gate Bridge Edition: Summer camp for young builders and inventors will explore all things Golden Gate. A program of the Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy, National Park Service and Presidio Trust.
Engineers Alliance for the Arts
- Student Impact Project highlighting the Golden Gate Bridge, for which structural engineers teach high school students about art and engineering by designing and building bridges. The program lasts eight weeks from February to April 2012 and serves nine classrooms around the Bay Area, with a final awards ceremony in PG&E's auditorium.
- Outdoor exhibits focused on bridge movement, cable suspension and related science, technology, engineering and mathematics. With technical support from CUREE and funding from the National Science Foundation.
Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco
- Exhibition of works from the museum collection featuring imagery of the Golden Gate Bridge.
Fisherman's Wharf Community Benefit District
- International Orange: An exhibition at Fort Point by a select group of artists who have created on-site installation works responding to the Golden Gate Bridge as national icon, historic structure, and conceptual inspiration.
Fort Mason Center
- Outdoor art exhibition of 35 uniques seats from which to enjoy views of the Golden Gate Bridge and San Francisco Bay and other tributes by Center organizations.
George Krevsky Gallery
Ghirardelli Chocolate Company
- Exhibition of panels telling the Golden Gate Bridge story at Ghirardelli Square.
Golden Gate Brass Band
Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy
- A Gift to the Landmark: Major improvements to the visitor experience at the Golden Gate Bridge, including a new Bridge Pavilion, guided tours, enhanced visitor services, improved trails and new overlooks. Spring 2012
Golden Gate Park Band
- Lady of the Gate: Concert of San Francisco Bay Area themed music by San Francisco composer Richard Frazier
Headlands Center for the Arts
- In the Shadow of the Bridge: A film by artist Ned Kahn about the shadows on the Golden Gate Bridge and what they reveal.
International Orange Chorale
- A series of concerts featuring newly commissioned works that pay homage to the Golden Gate Bridge, including the premiere of San Francisco, Open Your Golden Gate.
Jewish Community Center of San Francisco
- Lecture by Paul Goldberger, architecture critic for the New Yorker, focusing on the Golden Gate Bridge and other legacy structures. Cohosted with SPUR and AIA.
- Om Shalom-Building Bridges One Yoga Pose at a Time: Morning yoga session for people of all ages.
Juan Bautista de Anza National Historic Trail
- Trails Bridging the Golden Gate: Overnight camping trip and hike across the Golden Gate Bridge. Cosponsored by Coastwalk California
Kathryn Roszak's Danse Lumiere
- Bridge Dance: Open rehearsal and a public performance with professional dancers and youth.
- Songs and photographs honoring the workers who built the Golden Gate Bridge.
Marin History Museum
- Exhibit: The Golden Gate Bridge - An Icon that Changed Marin.
- A garden party with bridge building activities, a bridge trivia contest and music of the era.
- Lecture featuring John Van Der Zee, The Forgotten Engineer of the Golden Gate Bridge: Charles Ellis
- Golden Gate Opus: Commissioned work by Rob Kapilow based on sounds of the Golden Gate Bridge.
National Park Service
- Showing of the film, "Building of the Golden Gate," in the theater at the Fort Point National Historic Site.
- Interpretive walks and talks in the parklands at the Golden Gate.
National Trust for Historic Preservation
- Spanning Space and Time: The Golden Gate Bridge and the Transformation of the Bay Area. A symposium to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the bridge. Cohosted with San Francisco Architectural Heritage
- A Bridge to Nature: A family-oriented hike in the Marin Headlands with activities highlighting the cultural history of the Golden Gate.
Oakland International Airport
- Trade and Tourism Art Contest, Golden Gate Bridge to Oakland: Co-hosted with the Port of Oakland and Oakland Museum of California.
Oakland Museum of California
- Trade and Tourism Art Contest, Golden Gate Bridge to Oakland: Call for submissions of artwork from media ranging from the digital and photo to paint and sculpture accepted through March 2. Selected artwork will be shown at the Oakland International Airport . Co-hosted with the Port of Oakland and the Oakland International Airport.
Oakland Symphony Chorus
- Family sing-a-long of California and Golden Gate songs.
- International Trade Photo Contest: Co-hosted with the Port of Oakland.
- A Golden Relationship, a Bridge to the Agricultural Bounty of Sonoma County: An exhibit on how the building of the Golden Gate Bridge opened the door to providing culinary delights between Sonoma and San Francisco.
Port of Oakland
- Trade and Tourism Art Contest, Golden Gate Bridge to Oakland: Call for submissions of artwork from mediums ranging from digital and photo to paint and sculpture. Selected artwork will be shown at the Oakland International Airport. Cosponsored by Oakland Museum of California and Oakland International Airport.
- International Trade Photo Contest, Golden Gate Bridge to Oakland: Call for submissions of photos that represent the bridge theme. Selected photos will be exhibited in various venues in Oakland. Cosponsored by Oaklandish.
- Lecture by Paul Goldberger, architecture critic for the New Yorker, focusing on the Golden Gate Bridge and other legacy structures. Cohosted with the Jewish Community Center of San Francisco and AIA.
San Francisco Architectural Heritage, California Historical Society, National Trust for Historic Preservation, Western Office
- Spanning Space and Time - The Golden Gate Bridge and the Transformation of the Bay Area: A symposium to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the Golden Gate Bridge. Cohosted with the National Trust for Historic Preservation and National Trust for Historic Preservation, Western Office
San Francisco Arts Education Project
- Works of art created by San Francisco youth in collaboration with artists-in-residence in celebration of the Golden Gate Bridge, followed by a public exhibition.
San Francisco Bay Trail Project
- Supporting completion of a Bay Trail segment adjacent to the Golden Gate Bridge
- Promotion of trail connections to the bridge
San Francisco Carnaval
- Golden Gate Jubilee: Music bridges cultures as Carnaval presents a tribute using dance as a way to bridge the Bay.
San Francisco Children’s Art Center
San Francisco City Guides
- Assisting the National Park Service with talks about the Golden Gate Bridge.
San Francisco Giants
- International Orange Friday: Baseball game at AT&T Park.
San Francisco Mandolin Orchestra
San Francisco Marathon
San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park
- Special 75th anniversary tours at the maritime park and an exhibit at the park's visitor orientation station at Fisherman's Wharf.
San Francisco Museum and Historical Society
San Francisco Orchid Society
San Francisco Parks Alliance
- Park Views of the Golden Gate Bridge: A photo contest of images of the Golden Gate Bridge taken from San Francisco parks.
San Francisco Public Library
- On Location - the Golden Gate Bridge on the Silver Screen: Movie clips and an entertaining discussion of the Golden Gate Bridge in film by local historian Jim Van Buskirk.
- Bridging Minds: San Francisco Reads, 1933-1937: exhibit of first editions, photographs and ephemera draws on the resources of San Francisco History Center and other library collections to feature the best sellers of the period and works of California authors.
San Francisco State University, Romberg Tiburon Center
- Bridge-building activities for the general public at the center's annual Discovery Day.
San Francisco Unified School District/Young at Art
- The district's annual Young at Art festival will be themed "Bridging Us All, and will celebrate the 75th anniversary through a student art exhibition and performances at the de Young Museum.
South End Rowing Club
- Splash n' Dash: A club-sponsored swim in San Franciso Bay and a run across the Golden Gate Bridge for members and sport enthusiasts.
Space Sciences Laboratory, U.C. Berkeley–Solar Beacon
St. Francis Yacht Club
- Boat parade at the Golden Gate Festival.
- An educational presentation about public transit and the environment for classrooms in Marin and San Francisco, brought to schools via the Golden Gate Transit 'tribute' bus created by George Sumner.
Walt Disney Family Museum
- The Bridge on the Big Screen: Movies Starring the Golden Gate Bridge: Evenings of popular movies featuring the Golden Gate Bridge. Co-hosted with the Presidio Trust
- Golden Gate Bridge - A Film Icon: Six-month film series showcasing how the Bridge captured the imagination of Hollywood and the hearts of filmgoers, and became a cinematic icon.
- Bike trips for youth and families from the Presidio to the Golden Gate Bridge by the Presidio YMCA.
- Inclusion of bridge-related curriculum in outdoor education programs of the Point Bonita YMCA.